Q: What was the theme of the story told by Jorkens?
The theme of the story was that on the basis of determination. Gorgios got what at one stage looked impossible. He entered politics and got the desired seat created. Against this seat he got his appointment.[the_ad id=”17141″]
Q: Discuss the political views of Jorkens.
Jorkens joined politics with a definite purpose. He wanted to get his aim. His aim was to get a seat of acrobat created in the Royal Court. He knew that he would be opposed by many but even then he continued. He made public speeches and expressed his aim openly. He said that the Court Acrobat would serve as a model to the young men of the country. This post would also help in giving strength to the soldiers of the country. In this way, the defence of the country would become strong.
Q: How did Gorgios achieve his ambition?
Gorgios achieved his ambition after a long struggle. He worked for more than sixty years in the completion of his mission. He went into politics and made speeches to the public. He stuck to his aim. By and by people started paying attention to what he said. They started realizing the strength of his arguments. Soon his opponents also gave way. At last the day came when his aim was materialized. A post of Court acrobat was created. All of them agreed that he himself should be selected for this post. So he achieved his ambition after the struggle of more than sixty years.
Q: Do you agree or disagree with the viewpoint of the writer? Give five reasons.
In practical life, no viewpoint is final. Man has to adopt different policies in different situations. We don’t agree with the writer on the following grounds:
- Jorkens should have related an event from history to prove his standpoint. His story appears to be a pack of lies, never supported by history. As such, it cannot be taken as a model.
- Gorgios attained his aim when he Was unable to give actual performance. it looks impossible. Time is a great factor in human history. No doubt, his struggle is praiseworthy, but the result seems to be unbelievable.
- Generalizations are established on the basis of better percentage. The cases like Gorgios are not supported by history. If such events have ever taken place, their percentage is very low. We cannot establish any generalization in this regard.
- In the lives of successful men, we find a balance. Their achievement is a combination of both opportunity and determination.
- Fate is another important factor in human struggle. The people who succeed in life are favored by good fortune as well.[the_ad id=”17142″]