June 5, 2010
Water and SEWAGE Authority,
Subject: Defective Water Annual
Sir, I shall feel highly obliged if you publish the following text in the letters to the Editor of your esteemed newspaper. I would like to draw the attention of the authorities concerned to the serious water problem in our locality. Next to air, water is most essential to life. But the general public has to face a lot of difficulties due to the irregular, inadequate- and unequal distribution of water supply. The helpless citizens of poor areas are completely at the mercy of the concerned officials of WASA. Our locality is also one of the affected localities. The water supplied to this locality is neither sufficient nor wholesome. The polluted water is causing a lot of diseases like typhoid, diarrhea and hepatitis, etc.
Proper timings are not observed. Often the pressure of water is too low to rise to a height of one foot. So people do not even get sufficient water for domestic uses. Wasa has increased the water rates by 100% without improving the supply of water. It is surely criminal to supply water to the building companies and contractors by taking the bribe. Even the unauthorized and illegals Kachi Abadies are being provided with water supply, but the tax and bill payers have to pine for water. Resultantly, most people have to purchase water often from the private companies at comparatively much higher rates. Some people have to cover long distances to bring drinking water from other areas.
The following steps can be taken to improve this gloomy condition regarding water supply
- Corrupt officials should be punished accordingly.
- A public inquiry committee should be a constituted to probe into the matter.
- Old and defective pipelines should be replaced by the new ones without any further delay.
- Proper and fixed timings of water supply should be strictly observed.
- Water tanks should be properly washed and cleaned.
- Undue water supply to the areas occupied by the rich, M.P.A’S. and M.N.A’s should be stopped.
- New and scientific methods should be used to improve water supply.
- New water filter plants should be built immediately.
I sincerely hope that the authorities concerned should take adequate steps to remove the public grievances regarding water supply.