Level: F.Sc (Pre-Engg)
Class: 1st Year
Board: Punjab Textbook Board
Chapter 12: Nutrition
Type: Short Questions
Author: Kiran Mehtab
PDF Size: 2 MB
What are the main functions of the oral cavity? or Give oral cavity.
The oral cavity performs several functions, the most important are the
- selection of food
- grinding or mastication
What is the role of tongue in digestion in oral cavity?
Tongue being sensory and muscular organ plays the most important role in selection of food through its taste buds.
How grinding or mastication of food is useful?
This is useful because:
- the oesophagus allows relatively small pieces to pass through
- food becomes easier to digest when it is in small particles, because small pieces have much more surface for the enzyme to attack and much less solid material to penetrate.
Give the names and location of salivary glands found in man.
- sublingual glands situated below the tongue
- submaxillary glands behind the jaws
- parotid glands in front of the ears